Published on June 5th, 2012 | by Charlie0
Sony’s E3 2012 ConferenceFor the final time today, we move onto Sony’s conference. How promising will it be? Will it top Ubisoft’s conference? Let’s find out.
- The conference begins showing you a montage of PlayStation products, both released and yet to come.
- Jack Tretton takes to the stage. He’s talking about the E3 competition; who wins, who loses, something other conferences fail to recognise. First, he says he wants to pay tribute to us… the gamers. Kazuo Hirai has been given a shout out. Ha.
- Jack begins to talk about Heavy Rain’s success… and we’re about to find out the new title from Quantic Dream. The game is called “Beyond: Two Souls”. It seems to be about death, and what’s on “the other side”. You play as Jodie throughout 15 years of her life and her connection beyond the other side. The actress playing the title character of Jodie Holmes is Ellen Paige… oh. OK… They are now showing us a short demo of the game and the game, graphically, looks stunning. The game looks really creepy, but brilliant. Now a cup has been thrown onto a wall… sSuddenly SWAT have burst through the door in the cut scene… just what is going on? Beyond looks fantastic.
- Playstation All-Stars Battle Royale is next, with a small CG trailer to hopefully get your taste buds tingling. The game will now also be released on the PS Vita and will be cross-compatible with the PS3. This game looks EXACTLY like Super Smash Bros. to no surprise. Quite dull in my opinion. Nathan Drake will be a playable character in the game as well as the Big Daddy (Mr Bubbles) from Bioshock.
- The Vita will become an enhanced controller for the PS3 for some upcoming LittleBigPlanet 2 DLC for cross-platform compatibility. 80% of PS3’s and PS Vitas are connected to the internet… nice.
- PS Plus is now in the spotlight. PS Plus users will be able to download 12 games for free from tomorrow (Tuesday)… if you live in North America. And Sony just went all Oprah on the audience, giving them 1 years’ worth of PS Plus for free.
- PS One classics will be coming to the PS Vita starting from this summer.
- PSN takes the spotlight for a moment, where Jack is talking about all the services you can find on the PSN.
- YouTube, Hulu Plus and Crackle are all coming to the PS Vita soon.
- The first Call of Duty game coming to the PS Vita will be called Call of Duty: Black Ops: Declassified.
- Next on the screen is Assassins Creed III: Liberation, launching on the same date as Assassin’s Creed III. It looks a little low key, but that’s OK. You get to play as a female assassin. Assassin’s Creed III: Liberation will have its own bundle with the next edition of the Vita; the crystal white edition, which will also be packed with a 4GB memory stick for your Vita.
- Now Ubisoft are going to show a demo of Assassin’s Creed III… this demo is showing us some gameplay at sea, where you get to control a full scale boat. Connor is the captain of the boat, and his steering skills are bad ass (haha). Huge cannonball battles to be had here; you’ll want to play this game. Assassin’s Creed III will also launch as a PS3 bundle, packed with exclusive DLC.
- Far Cry 3 is back again today, with Ubisoft announcing 4 player co-op which they are demoing. These guys obviously do not know how to play the game as they’re going out there getting themselves killed. The game will also ship with exclusive DLC as well as a level editor.
- PS Move is next with Andrew House taking to the stage. The game being shown now is almost like a storybook. It’s called WonderBook, which puts a physical book in your hands and brings stories to life in your own room. MoonBot will help contribute to WonderBook, which begs to think that perhaps multiple developers will work on WonderBook. Andrew House just started talking about J.K. Rowling, who has helped contribute to this game with a story called “Book of Spells” which closely ties in with the Harry Potter universe, where you can turn your PS Move into a magic wand. Wonderbook is clearly a title for children, so watching adults play it is quite odd. Uh oh… things started to go wrong… This demo has gone on for so long and is getting quite boring. This is essentially the laser tag of Ubisoft…
- Next they’re talking about PlayStation certified devices that will allow for multiple platforms to play the smaller PlayStation games. HTC will be the first non-Sony PlayStation partner to share these features of PlayStation Suite. But PlayStation Suite is getting a new name: PlayStation Mobile.
- God of War: Ascension is up next with some single player content. We see a much paler Kratos, and a guy with a sword in his back… and now we see our first beast. The game plays out just like any other God of War, except slicker, smoother and cleaner… as clean as a game with lots of blood can get anyway. And somehow, Kratos has a rebuild mechanism that allows him to rebuild destroyed items, just like that of the game “Singulatiry”. Oh snap, a weird tentacle thing has come out of nowhere and is attacking Kratos. And now he’s fighting an elephant? What the heck? The game will be out March 12th 2013.
- The Last of Us is ending the show now. And we’re finally taking a look at gameplay. The game does look fantastic however, very colourful and vibrant. This is definitely a game you’d want to explore. Ellie and Joel have just run into survivors, and it seems Joel only has 4 bullets. Perhaps ammo is scarce? This is definitely not Uncharted… Health is regenerated with medpacks, and it seems bullets takes a lot of damage from you, so this is not a shooter where you go guns blazing. You can take enemies hostage and you may be required to use equipment efficiently in real time, so there’s no pausing when going through your inventory. I now officially want The Last of Us.